Monday, January 12, 2009

Dr. Angstrom says War Eagle




Today, we met Bailey's new doctor. His name is Dr. Angstrom, and he's an Auburn Vet School grad. For those that don't know, Auburn has one of the most highly ranked vet schools in the nation (the most highly ranked in some areas), so she's in good hands. Plus, there's something about a handshake and a "War Eagle" in an introduction. I wanted to take a picture with him and Bailey, but Steph insisted that they might not let us come back if I did that. Enough about my infatuation with her new doc, though, this is about Bailey.

Back to the vet visit later, today marked another first: first day at home alone for our little girl. Given the struggle we've had with her and the crate at night (she is getting better, though), we were a little nervous about leaving her home alone. Well, Steph was, anyway. I figured that the neighbors might hate us, but that Bailey'd be okay. Steph's nerves were so shot over the prospect of Bailey having a bad day at home alone that she was nearly in tears. So, this morning marked the moment of truth. We got up early, and I took Bailey on her longest walk yet. I figured that she might sleep through at least lunch if I wore her out. Well, I might have started a little too early, as she collapsed a couple of times on the walk. I pushed her to finish the drill, though, and she hunkered down and made it happen (that's your Granddog, Chuck!). After going through the morning motions, we padded her crate with extra blankets, stuck a new interactive chew toy inside(it spits out treats- how cool is that?), threw some ice cubes in the tray, turned on the floor fan and radio, and tiptoed to the door. She watched us walk down the stairs, but didn't make a noise. I stood outside the door and listened for a minute, but not a peep. She really is a fantastic dog. I expected that she would have cried herself to sleep, but she wouldn't have any of that. Steph said she whimpered a little after lunch, but she was just playing with her toys when I came home that afternoon.


On to the vet. We really didn't know what the visit would entail, only that it was necessary for the warranty. I guess this is where she differs from having a new baby. Those don't come with warranties. At any rate, we walk in, and it's by far the happiest vet's office I've ever been in (granted, this is only the second I've ever seen, but that doesn't make it any less happy). Everything was sterile, yet inviting. There was a ton of seating, technicians in nurse scrubs, and a big picture of a cat and rabbit hugging one another. It made me, personally, pretty happy. But more importantly, Bailey was relaxed there. I wish my doctor went to such lengths to make me relaxed as Bailey's did for his patients. The nurse asked for poop. We didn't bring any. Fail. They let us stay, though, and went through with the exam. Steph asked the thousand questions that you would expect a new neurotic mom to, and the doctor was very gracious to answer them all. I learned that we're going to brush Bailey's teeth. I had no idea that this was something that normal people did. For some reason, I had always been under the impression that milkbones were enough. Doctor A. told us that she was healthy, teething, and growing big muscles (that morning walk, I tell ya) and needed to come back in two weeks for shots. I'm sure she'll love that, but at least she got to check out the place before they start poking her with sharp objects. All in all, a successful visit.




I have to take poop tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment