Sunday, January 11, 2009

When do they start sleeping through the night?


I haven't slept the past two nights. While I know its not the same, bringing home Bailey has been a lot like bringing home a new baby. She doesn't sleep through the night, and the majority of the attention we give her involves food or bathroom issues. That being said, she's a wonderful addition to our family, and we love her.

The biggest confusion I have is why she can't sleep all night. If there's one thing this dog knows how to do at this point, it's sleep. I've taken no less than 50 pictures of her napping (part of that is, she's always napping, part of it involves my obsession with documenting her ever moment- another reason I think she's like a new baby).Yesterday, we took her shopping with us...shopping for her, of course.
The first store, PetSmart, she was carried around in her fancy dog bag by me. She was good, didn't make a noise, and seemed pretty relaxed, despite the loud pet noises and constant people peeping in her bag making loud squeely noises (strangers make odd noises in the presence of a cute new puppy). On to the second store, For Footed Friends. Steph decided to carry her in this store, and low and behold, Bailey passes right out in her arms. Steph walked around cradling her on her back, people petting her, commotion all around, and Bailey lays there, the whole time with her eyes close. Steph compared it to her father sleeping in Synagogue, out for the count without a care in the world. So, why, if she can fall asleep at a moments notice, can she not stay asleep for more than a couple of hours at night? It baffles me.




Other notes:

* She's doing very good with the outside bathroom thing. We're probably a little better than 75% right now, far better than I expected two days in.

* There's a bit of nipping issue. I don't mind it so much right now, but her teeth are sharp, and I don't want it to be a long term thing. I know it's just puppy play, so hopefully we can start curbing this soon.

*She's a fantastic traveler. The car puts her right to sleep, and she hasn't minded getting carried around stores or meeting new people the last two days. I can't wait to see how she does with the trek to Jacksonville next week.

*This dog is built to explore and hunt. Fascinating to watch the wheels turn.

*If you're ever in Naples, check out that For Footed Friends place. Granola-Hippy store for dogs. Everything's all natural, and the staff is the coolest set of tree hugging pet lovers ever.

*If you can't tell by the pictures, she is tiny. I think she's around four pounds at this point, and can't even thing about walking though the tall St.Augustine grass in our neighborhood. She moves by a series of leaps and pounces.


Here are some more random pictures to enjoy.






Playing at bedtime



Full on vermin attacker...and she loves my Auburn blanket



Who doesn't love a good belly rub?



I look happy, but inside I'm thinking that her chewing is really painful.



Little Bailey discovers the back of the couch.


No comments:

Post a Comment